I want to spend zakat amount towards education expense

This post has 1,251 views.

Ref no: 0259#

Date: Thursday, July 28, 2011




I want to spend zakat amount towards education expense


I want to spend zakat amout towards education expenese to my niece (sister’s daughter).

My brother in law’s financial position to the best of my knowlegde is as follows :

My brother in law has :

one house of their own inherited from his father.

One shop which he used for his mobile repariing business which gives 2000/- per month

Few independant rooms inherited from his father which are rented gives of monthly income approximately 8-9 thousand indian rupees per month.

My niece got admission in BCA course ie. bachelor in computer education.

Her annual fees is 32,000 indian ruppes.

Can I sponspor from my zakat money.


Muhtaram / Muhtaramah

In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāh wa-barakātuh.

We understand from your query that your brother-in-law is financially stable and can afford the annual fees. Despite that he is not willing to do so. If our understanding is correct then you should keep in mind:

Every father will look into the best interest of his child. Keeping a daughter in the confines of her home is better than exposing her to the vicious world outside. There is no need for her to further her studies for this may have a great impact in her life ahead. If her father does not want her to go out and study, then respect his view for he is responsible of her welfare.

It will be permissible for you to give Zakāt money to your niece if she qualifies as a recipient of Zakāt i.e. she does not possess the nisāb amount or jewellery equivalent to nisāb.



And Allah knows best
Darul Iftaa

Madrasah Inaa’miyyah



· The Sharée ruling herein given is specifically based on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

· The Darul Ifta bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer. The Darul Ifta being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

· This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Darul Ifta.