what can we do with these funds?

This post has 1,264 views.



We have much accumulated interest funds that we have unintentionally received from the banks. We know that in our community there a lot of people who are struggling with day to day survival and are turning to the banks for loans based on interest. Some of these brothers are genuinely stuck and are in need of help for them to get out of this vicious circle of interest.


Could we help these brothers to pay off their interest element to the banks with the interest funds we have from the banks? We would give them this amount as a loan and instead of paying the banks they could pay us back without charging any interest over a long term basis.




If the above would be acceptable, could we roll the funds once we receive re-payments from the ones we helped and help others who are in similar predicaments?




Could we help them in general terms with these funds?




We would do all the above purely on humanitarian grounds without the intention of reward.




If nothing of the above is workable, what can we do with these funds? Can we build security fences at Masjids and Madressas or toilets?





Muhtaram / Muhtaramah


In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāh wa-barakātuh.


  1. No, you may not give these funds as loans to those who are in need. If they are genuinely poor, you may give them these funds without intention of reward. Haraam money must be disposed off by giving it to the poor.
  2. Why do you want to use Haraam money for the Musjid and Madrasah? Use Halaal money for this purpose.



And Allah knows best
Darul Iftaa

Madrasah Inaa’miyyah



·         The Sharée ruling herein given is specifically based on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·         The Darul Ifta bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer. The Darul Ifta being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·         This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Darul Ifta.