Can I give him zakaat to pay his rates

This post has 897 views.


A person is married and staying with his wife at his in-laws house.he does not own a house or car. He earns 3000.00 per month. He has to pay the rates for his in-laws house as part of the agreement for staying with them. The rates are 1000.00 per month.lights/water 700.00 per month.fone bill 300.00 per month.petrol for using his sons car 300.00 per month. The balance is not enough to maintain the household expenses.he has not been able to keep up payment for the rates and is 8 months behind in payments.his two sons are married and cannot help him much as they have their own commitments and do not earn much. His inlaws are collecting pension and are not well to do. Can I give him zakaat to pay his rates arrears. Please advice.




Muhtaram / Muhtaramah


In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāh wa-barakātuh.



 The person in question is in debt.He is eligible to receive to receive zakaat.You may give him zakaat to pay his debts.


P.S. The answer is based on the information provided 


And Allah knows best




Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah


  • The Sharée ruling herein given is specifically based on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • The Darul Ifta bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer. The Darul Ifta being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Darul Ifta.