Please advise me how to divorce him as he will not divorce me

This post has 921 views.



this is my situation, I’m a citizen of Canada, 30yrs old and married my husband from India and sponsored him to come to Canada on a spouse visa. Our marriage was arranged and we both communicated with each other liked each other and agreed to marry so I went to India and we had our wedding ceremony, consummated the marriage and I returned to Canada waiting for his visa to be approved so that he could join me in Canada.

Once his visa was approved he came to Canada and sadly from day one he started abusing me so bad that after a week I didn’t know where to run to couldn’t go anywhere, I’ve been making sabr and tolerating to a point where it’s now a month and I had to get my parents involved and my dad has brought me home. I’m so devastated and hurt as we have seen that his only motive was the visa to enter now he doesn’t care as he has ways of staying in the country. I’m in so much pain, I really need your help, please advise me how to get out of this abusive relationship as this guy has no love for me, he never showed me love since arrival in Canada he always made excuses about not having intercourse with me and just kept avoiding me. I would try and hug and kiss me but he would not be interested, I’m in so much pain and so disappointed and hurt. I’m devastated.

I really need your advice. Please advise me how to divorce him as he will not divorce me.


In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāh wa-barakātuh.

Respected Brother/Sister

We sympathize that you have become a victim of a man who married you for ulterior motives. It seems that he has married you to obtain legal status in Canada. If this is indeed his nasty agenda, we suggest that you consult with immigration experts and take their advice on revoking his visa and deporting him to India. This could serve as a deterrent to many prospective males who wish to lure innocent women into marriage for their selfish gain.

However, if he shows signs of regret and wishes to take you back and promises to live a normal life as husband and wife with you, then allow him the opportunity to do so. Since he comes from a male dominated background in his native country, perhaps he feels threatened and is reacting to you in this way. If he has some acquaintance or relative in Canada, you could request them to advise him on how to conduct himself. Since you are married only for a month, we suggest that you allow him time to settle and make amends to his behavior.

If after exhausting all avenues of reconciliation, he does not change in his habits and behavior, you may contact us for further advice.

And Allah Knows Best

Darul Iftaa- Madrasah Inaa’miyya